Saturday, April 26, 2008

Attached Storage

I have been hunting around for some sort of attached storage device. Sure I can backup my music, movies, and photos on DVDs, but that is a pain. It would be great to have something i can access from all of my computers. And we run Ubuntu, Windows XP and OSX. Oh...and i want RAID support so i do not have to worry about losing everything.

I refuse to give M$ any more money so that rules out M$ Home Server, which does not support OSX or Ubuntu anyways.

I looked at http://www.drobo.com. That is a pretty cool device, however, look at the price.... $499 for the base unit, and $199 for the Ethernet add-on! BTW- that is without any hard drives! So $700 just to get started. Plus it does not really support Linux anyhow. Perhaps if the $499 included the Ethernet add-on i would just get it and hack the Linux support via the info on their forums.

I also saw http://www.freenas.org/ which looks like it may be the thing. However, a bit intimidating at first glance.

I guess i am really looking for a simple appliance i can just plug into my network and go. And i do not want to have to spend $1000 for it either. Perhaps i should just wait a bit and hopefully with more competition prices will drop.

No comments: